File management isn’t always an easy task, especially when you run the risk of accidentally overwriting or deleting important information.
If you’re trying to keep the contents of your USB drive matched up with a folder on your computer or otherwise need to synchronize files, try FreeFileSync.
This easy-to-use program makes file synchronization a breeze, even for novices.
FreeFileSync’s interface is attractive and intuitive.
Large buttons with tool tips guide users through each step of the process.
Simply browse to the two folders you want to compare, click the Compare button, and FreeFileSync will tell you exactly how the folder contents differ.
Files can be compared either by content or by size and date.
Users can then sync the folders automatically or just move selected files manually between the folders.
Syncing can update changes in both folders, create a mirror backup of one folder, or move all updated or changed files to one folder.
Users can also create their own synchronization rules.
Filters help users control which files are overwritten, ensuring that nothing important is lost.
Everything about FreeFileSync is easy to use, but the program still comes with a detailed Help file that contains a lot of information about its more-advanced features.
Overall, we were quite impressed with FreeFileSync it’s versatile, commonsense, and a great choice for anyone with file syncing needs.
Inexperienced users will be pleased with its intuitiveness, while more experienced users will benefit from its array of configurable options, including symbolic link handling, and FTP capabilities.
FreeFileSync is an Open-Source folder comparison and synchronization tool.
It is optimized for highest performance and usability without restricted or overloaded UI interfaces.
It supports comparison by date or content, filters, file sizes > 4GB, delete-before-copy for large sync operations, and creation of batch files for automated synchronization.
FreeFileSync has a myriad of options for syncing files between two folders and locations.
The user interface is especially user friendly and makes it easy to quickly adjust your settings.
Whether you need to simply compare folders and update the files to the newest version or you want to create batch files for recurrent comparisons, FreeFileSync has you covered.
FreeFileSync strives to provide high-quality software with zero open bugs.
FreeFileSync supports portable installation onto USB memory sticks or external hard drives.
For this purpose select installation type portable in the installer.
FreeFileSync Key Features
- Detect moved and renamed files and folders
- Copy locked files (Volume Shadow Copy Service)
- Detect conflicts and propagate deletions
- Binary file comparison
- Configure handling of Symbolic Links
- Automate sync as a batch job
- Process multiple folder pairs
- Comprehensive and detailed error reporting
- Copy NTFS extended attributes (compressed, encrypted, sparse)
- Copy NTFS security permissions
- Support long file paths with more than 260 characters
- Fail-safe file copy
- Cross-platform: Windows, Linux, Mac OS X
- Expand environment variables like %USERPROFILE%
- Access variable drive letters by volume name (USB sticks)
- Native 64-bit support
- Keep versions of deleted/updated files
- Prevent disc space bottlenecks via optimal sync sequence
- Full Unicode support
- Highly optimized runtime performance
- Include/exclude files via filter
- FreeFileSync portable and local installation available
- Handle daylight saving time changes on FAT/FAT32
- Use macros %time%, %date%, et al. for recurring backups
- Case-sensitive synchronization
- Built-in locking: serialize multiple jobs running against the same network share